- Eggs, beans and nuts are excellent sources of protein and easy to add to almost any dish.
- Add nuts to oatmeal, cereal, salads and stir-fries for a healthy, hearty meal. Raw nuts are often cheaper. Roast them for a delicious snack. Nuts stay fresh longer in the freezer.
- Whole or cut-up, bone-in chicken can be a money saver. Bake extra and use all week. Buy family-size packs on sale and freeze.
- Soak and cook dried beans to save money. Canned beans save time, but rinse them before using.
- Combine legumes and whole grains for a complete protein. Examples include: rice and beans, lentils and barley, bulgur with beans or peanut butter on 100% whole wheat bread.
- For a meatless meal, use tofu crumbles in place of ground beef when making spaghetti or chili.